Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Cookie Monster Within Me

What do you consider to be the greatest culinary treasure the United States has given the world? Easy question, right? At least in my mind it is. I would hands down, unequivocally say a soft, chewy chocolate chip cookie. Have you ever noticed how once you leave the U.S., cookies generally become hard and crispy? Neil Diamond figured out why people are coming to America and
so have I.


My sister, Emily, was a foreign exchange student in Japan during middle school. Her host dad was pretty emphatic that he didn’t like cookies, that is until Emily made soft, chewy, American-style peanut butter cookies. His surprise response to the cookies managed to create a bond between two people who didn’t even speak a common language. (How Emily lived in Japan without knowing one word of Japaneses is still a mystery). Now, that’s the power of a soft, chewy cookie.

Well, sometimes that soft-chewy-cookie power is a little too overpowering. This past week for work I visited a flour mill in Richmond, Utah. As I was getting directions from the man I was to visit, he mentioned that the facility was down the road from the Pepperidge Farms Factory. I ended up arriving a little early (maybe on purpose) and managed to quickly find the Pepperidge Farms Factory. I knew what I was doing when I walked into the place. I knew that the safe thing was to turn around and leave upon entering. I knew that if I were to evaluate, at any moment, all my sugar weaknesses, cookies are by far my biggest downfall. But I proceeded anyway.

Now the rule of this game has been one and done. One dessert a day. So what did I do right there at Pepperidge Farms? I went a head and opened a loop hole. I bought ONE package of cookies and ate them all between my time in Richmond and my drive back to SLC. I wish I could say this was an individual serving, but it's exactly the package of cookies you are envisioning in your mind right now. The one with eight large cookies. I wish I could also say that it was a hard task to eat them all and that I felt sick afterward. But let's be honest, it totally wasn't and I felt completely fine. Well, this is the first time I used this loop hole and the purpose of this post is to close the loop hole so that I don't end up considering one gallon of ice cream a single dessert. So from here on out one serving = one dessert. Loop hole closed.

As a side note, thank goodness I don't have a weakness for Pepperidge Farm's Goldfish.


8 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about that loophole! Glad you got to take advantage of it once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true. Peanut butter cookies change lives.

    Great post, Rach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get my text about how as I was picking all the red jelly beans out of Cate's Easter basket I was wondering how many would be considered ONE dessert? Hahahahaa! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is honestly one of the best opening paragraphs I've read in years. The English teacher in me applauds you.

    Another great post, Rachel. I'm glad you closed this loophole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel we are going to give you this little misstep in your goal. However, or should I say but, please remember what you are fighting for. The good of our state and maybe even our nation depends on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have to stay away from the Pepperidge Farm store. The worst are the Tam Tan cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Melissa - I saw your comment while I was in a writing workshop wondering if I even knew the English language. Your words made me absolutely glow.

    @Nancy - I totally thought of your text about the jelly beans while I was eating cookie number three.

    @ Everyone - You all are great! Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete