Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Picture Your Motivation

This past fall my employer began a new wellness program. One of the suggestions in the program was to stop watching the Food Network. My first response was, "WHAT? No one really makes the food. We just drool in front of the TV for food that can't be touched, smelled or tasted. Isn't it pretty harmless?" BUT then I began to think about the power of an image. I began to think of all the shoe purchases, airplane tickets and haircuts that began with just one image. Wow. The power of an image. This past week I began to wonder how I could use this information to help me with my goal.

Picking an Image
I took up oil painting a couple months ago. My first work of art was a cow. Surprisingly, it was fairly good. It's now framed and hanging in my main floor bathroom. (Where else do you put an oil painting of a cow?)

During the last couple months, I've painted a couple other things such as landscapes, trees and weeds. These didn't go so well, and I have quickly come to the realization that I really only have success when painting farm animals. Beyond my cow, I've painted a crazy chicken and a pig.

There is one subject matter I have never tried to paint: people. People are SO SCARY to paint. So, I've never even tried. However, when I was thinking of what image I could paint to help me with my goal, I thought why not paint Rep. Chaffetz? He's involved in my goal, and who cares if it looks bad?

I also started thinking about how almost everyone looks like some type of animal, which I like to paint. For example my sister Brittany has always reminded me of a chipmunk or a squirrel. My brother Josh kind of looks like a bird. (I'm not sure what type, but he's definitely a bird.) I look more like Brittany and probably resemble a chipmunk as well.

I give these examples so people do not think I'm rude when I say that Jason Chaffetz also looks like a very specific animal to me. So with this realization, I gathered a little confidence as I decided to go a head and attempt to paint Rep. Chaffetz this week.

Well, it didn't go so well, which was expected. Instead of an animal, the painting has a slight resemblance to Michael Jackson (the mid-80s version). I thought this was because I made his nose too small, but then I realized they actually have/had a similar looking nose at one point and time. (For the record, I love Michael Jackson and even threw him a birthday party one year.)

The painting now hangs in my bedroom. I look at it when I want a cookie at midnight. Sometimes it helps, other times it doesn't, but hey, it was worth trying.















7 comments:

  1. It's actually not a bad likeness. I'm dying to know what animal you think J. Chaffetz resembles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm really hoping our congressman gets wind of this website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is that you think Representative Chaffetz looks like a beaver. That’s what he looks like to me, at least.

    Rachel, you’re changing the world here. I really love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, this is the most entertained I've been in a long time. Second, I would really like to support you because I think you are awesome. Third, I really also don't like extremism, and seriously, if there is anything I can do to help you not send money to the tea party, I'm here for moral support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious. Everyone in my family thinks Chaffetz looks like a Dr. Seuss character

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. Love this Rachy. I was trying so hard not to laugh out loud in my office- I couldn't contain my giggling though. I love the painting. Looks like it should go on a missionary plaque to hang at the church for 2 years while he's on his mish. I think you are a true artist. And if I had to put an animal on him, I think he looks like a sloth. Or a small red panda like the kung fu master in Kung Fu Panda. Those are my picks.

    ReplyDelete