Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lessons from a Ted Talk and a Lemon Scone

This afternoon I went out to lunch with Michelle Gurr to the Pierre Cafe located in Millcreek. She had learned of the bakery from a blog comment from a man in Seattle. He mentioned he never missed the chance to visit the cafe when in Utah. His words sent us directly to Millcreek today.

When we entered the bakery, both Michelle and I knew why he managed to always stop by. Everything was charming, that is until the time came to chose just one of the spectacular-looking desserts behind the glass counter.

If there's one lesson I've leaned lately, it's this: too many good options create a pathway of turmoil and torture, a.k.a. purgatory. (This is confirmed by one of my favorite Ted Talks linked below.)

So upon reaching the counter, I did what I always do. I asked the attendant her opinion. She suggested the lemon scone. Now, I love lemon anything, but REALLY? A lemon scone? In my mind I kept trying not to voice, "You have sugar cookies, macaroons (French and coconut), pecan bars, at least ten cake options, plus a bunch of dreamy looking brownie bars and you're suggesting a scone?"

I decided this needed further clarification, so I asked her once again in a slightly different way. "So when you have a sugar weakness in the middle of the day, you reach for the lemon scone?" She confirmed with a head nod and a yes.

Now this is where things can get awkward. But it's an awkwardness I know how to deal with because 90% of the time I already know what I want. I just want it reconfirmed. So when the attendant says something different, it causes me to lie and say things like, "I'm allergic to scones, so let's just go with the triple-turtle-caramel-divinity bar."

But lately I've really tried to be open to others opinions. So I went with the lemon scone. After eating it, I reflected on the lesson I had just learned. Be open to others, but when it comes to desserts, go with your gut reaction and get the double-decker-chocolate-mint thing that appealed to you in the first place.

My Favorite Ted Talk: The Paradox of Choice















http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I don't think the lemon scone would cut it. Let's visit again soon and get the most chocolate laden dessert they have available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Melissa you just let me know when you want to go. I'm totally game and already know which one to get this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach, you are right, the scone was fine, but something chocolate would have been much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've NEVER had a good scone. Let that be a lesson to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that talk as well.... not to mention I also love triple chocolate anything. Let's do lunch soon and go with our gut reactions!:)

    ReplyDelete